Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Snowshoes! and Salamanders! (Well, 1 Salamander Anyway)

12/24/16 Weight: 142.6

Pre-run nutrition: don't remember
During-run nutrition: 30 oz powerade and a peanut butter and honey sandwich

For this week's back-to-back run I was excited to try out my new running snowshoes from Northern Lites running snowshoes, their Race model. I've never been on snowshoes of any kind before- but had gotten a wild hair up my ass when I saw a website about snowshoe races, and figured why the hell not?



Weather: 

     Definitely a little warmer than I would have liked. I had been excited that we got a bunch of snow the night before, but when I woke up it was already above freezing, which didn't bode to well for the snow sticking around.


Planned workout :

     I really didn't have too much of a plan since I had never worn snowshoes before, I expected that I would be going slower than normal, but didn't have a clue by how much. I just decided to go by time instead of mileage for this workout and planned on being out there about 2 hours.

Actual workout:

     Holy heart rate Batman! Those snowshoes kicked my ass. I expected to just be able to run, just a little slower.... Nope, not even close. I felt like a newbie runner again as I ended up having to do 1 minute run and 1 minute walk intervals the entire time. I managed a few :90 and 2 minute runs in there- but not many. I don't think it helped at all that I was clomping through crusty, un-groomed snow either. It took me 1:40 to go 5.23 miles. Humbling to say the least, but fun. My legs (and especially my calves) felt tight afterwards so after I threw the snowshoes back in my truck I tacked on an easy two miles to help loosen things up a bit. 

And the salamander in the title of this post? Yeah, I found a beautiful little blue-spotted salamander in a cross-country ski track !?! Poor little guy should have been hibernating. I wasn't sure exactly where I should put him, so I just moved him off of the trail and out of the snow.




All in all it was a beautiful and hard day: 

















No comments:

Post a Comment